Monday 17 April 2017

Autumn mix



We've had some nice weather of late, a little on the chilly side with breezy winds but it is nice weather to enjoy.  

I've been pulling apart dried flowers I've been drying to make potpourri mixes and these will be added to sachets eventually. The thing about drying flowers using the air dry method is that means your flowers won't rot if you place them fresh into a mixture - it's best to dry them and then make up the potpourri mix you want to try. Still, air drying flowers this way means they do fade in colour and look a  little dusty so you can add a handful of rosebuds, dried chamomile flowers, and Nasturtiums to improve the colour and text of the mixture. Pick the flowers in summer and dry them in the oven, dehydrator, or in sand mixed with laundry borax. This will mean the colours won't fade and the petals will appear fresher. 

For this potpourri I used a mix of zinnias, marigolds, nasturtiums, curry plant leaves, roses, geranumum flowers and leaves, dried orange slices, dried apple slices, rosemary, mint and lemon balm, parsley leaves, whatever the summer garden spared to make up this Autumn mix. I also added a couple drops of rose oil. I'll display this pretty in mix in an open bowl or jar to let it sent the room.

Later on I'll put this mix in a blender to chop it down finely and then add it to sachets so I don't waste anything.


I hope everyone is having a good day or evening where ever you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment